Friday, November 22, 2013

It's A Christmas Miracle, I Mean Market!

I just couldn't resist blogging about what's been going on here the past few days so here I go!

Wednesday, November 20th, I finished my time in town by walking around the Christmas markets once again, watching everyone do their final set ups. I was beyond excited to see it all open tomorrow at 10am! 

Thursday, November 21st, it's time to go to the open Christmas market! Today is also the last cooking class so we went shopping at the weekly market like we usually do, headed back to the college and then I was off to adventure. Wow, I was just in awe walking around. The lights were on, the people were smiling, the stands were packed full of gifts and I was enjoying it all. I walked around for about an hour and a half just browsing around and I did happen to buy some gifts already! One of which is a Christmas collar for my dog Oakley (mom, I just couldn't resist buying this even though Oakley might hate it haha). 



I sampled some traditional Austrian sliced pancakes and am definitely getting that soon. It is very sweet and you can add toppings such as chocolate sauce, vanilla sauce, apples or plums! Also the people were so nice at that stand, they kept giving me samples of different pancakes. After I saw all the stands, I decided to get this pretzel I scoped out before for lunch. It looked like a pretzel with 3 eggs in it...


...doesn't it look like eggs? Yeah, I thought so too. I sat on a bench in the market because I couldn't resist the urge to try it. Low and behold....NOT an egg pretzel. The 'yoke' was some type of fruit (maybe a peach or apricot) and then the filler was a fruity jam and the actual pretzel had a sweet taste to it. It was definitely not what I was expecting but it was still delicious. After photo class I headed back to the markets and bought a hot White Russian which was amazing! 


And that is a very strange add for one of the chocolate stands there. Haha. Then is started to get dark and the whole market was lit up! And on the walk back to the college I passed by some cute dog that was just hanging outside one of the stores, enjoying the lights and people watching I assume. Haha



Now it was time for cooking class again! For our final meal we made Salzburger Knoblauchsuppe (a butter and garlic soup), Schweinsbraten (a type of meat) with semmelknödel (dumplings) and sauerkraut. For dessert we made Salzburger Nockerl which is basically just sugar, eggs, flour and milk for the most part. 




Afterwards, another food coma was had of course! It was Julian's (one of the guys in the program) birthday yesterday so around 9pm we all met up at the Augustiner for some drinks. They have a seasonal beer (bockbier) there now so I got to try it and I am definitely going back for more soon. 


Friday, November 22nd, a long day of baking. Woke up and got to the college by about 9:30am and did some thanksgiving decorating around the college and waited for Frau to arrive. Once she got there, we got to baking for several hours for a Christmas market that is taking place in town this Sunday. Brownies, snicker doodles on sticks, sugar cookies, etc. We bagged them up and tied them with ribbon but had no idea that presentation was EXTREMELY important for this particular market. We were told that the vendors there are very professional with their stands and the people that come to buy the foods there will be picky about some things. This then created stress on a lot of us and I realized that I could never own my own bakery. I like to bake for my friends and family with love and not for competition or presentation always. As long as it tastes good (right dad and Keith!?!) haha.



This is Frau and myself working hard in the kitchen with our paper baking hats. This woman is such a sweetheart! 


After a long day of baking, I was exhausted and headed home a little after 6pm. Let's see what tonight brings I guess. Oh by the way, today is friday, which means only 3 weeks left until I am back in New York! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment