Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Photography Review #1

http://www.briansholis.com/the-life-and-death-of-buildings/



After reading this review, I could say I both agree and disagree with certain things that Brian Sholis had to say. He thought the way that the curator, Joel Smith, deployed the material was in an 'unusual manner' and it turned the photographs into seeming "documentary". Although I could agree with him to some extent, I think that if each photograph was looked at separately and without knowing the exhibition title The Life and Death of Buildings, the documentary aspect is decreased. If I were the reviewer of this exhibit, I would have written more about the gallery showing the life of the building and try to discuss their relationship to the gallery showing the death of the building. Sholis seems to concentrate more on the death end of the title. He even said about one gallery in particular, "though both life and death appear in its title, the general drift of this exhibition was towards ends, toward ruins."

No comments:

Post a Comment