Monday, September 16, 2013

Best Exhausting Weekend Yet.

Wow, what a weekend.

Wednesday, September 11th, for our Understanding Austria class, we had a guided tour around Salzburg. We became more familiarized with the town and learned ore about it's history. We walked through some beautiful gardens and markets too. At one point, we passed people giving out free milk...sure of course I took one. Little did I know, my roommate started taking more for me (she already knows I love milk) and the guy just walked up behind me and started loading the milk into my backpack. I was set for a good week. After the 2 hour tour, I was ready for food and bed. Haha.



Friday, September 13th, we took a trip to the Wolfgangsee, where we took a nice pilgrimage. It was absolutely gorgeous. Probably about a 2.5 hr hike all together and totally worth it. At one point, we all had to pick a rock that was the size of our sins and then carry it up to another point of the hike. When we reached a certain destination, after we had sweat out our sins, we placed the rock on top of towers of rocks that were in this one area. We also stopped at a restaurant mid hike and got lunch where we had typical Austrian cold cuts served on a slate of wood. The 4 of us that live in the dorm took the leftovers home and I carried them in my bag so within minutes my bad smelt like gross meat and smelly cheese but I don't regret it one bit. Haha. When we reached the end of our, the view was breathtaking; mountains, the lake, houses, cows on the open field. I went closer to the cows to try and make friends and I guess I got a little too close because as I was making a picture, I got shocked by the electric fence. Whoopsie. :) And although it rained mostly the whole time during our hike, it was still worth it.


























Saturday, September 14th, we had a trip to the ice caves! These are supposedly the largest ice caves in the world. All the girls took a 3 minute cable car up the mountain, while the boys hiked. When we all met up, we geared up for the cold caves. I had on leggings, leg warmers, socks, boots, long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, flannel, winter jacket, scarf, and gloves....just to give you an idea of how freezing it was. No pictures were allowed but you can check it out online. (I snuck a few of course. Don't worry mom, I didn't get in trouble.) About every fourth person had a lantern otherwise it was super dark inside. We walked a total (up and down) of about 1600 steps inside the caves. They said it was about 14 stories high. This cave left me speechless, it was incredible.































Sunday, September 15th, but yet another trip and my favorite by the way. CANYONING! We had a crazy tour guide (who made it that much better) who picked us up from the college in this van. He was a crazy driver (I had the pleasure of sitting in the passenger seat!) so we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, but I was stoked. We all had wet suits, harnesses, helmets, and water shoes and off we went. Jumped off rock cliffs (not too high, the highest was about 9 meters) into freezing cold water. the first jump was called 'Heart attack' and after you hit the water, you realize why. Damn was it cold. Slid down certain parts too, it was like our personal water park. The views were beautiful of course, and it was just so fun. I don't have any photos yet, but the guide should be sending them soon! 


So that was my weekend...Can you top it? Haha. I just got my moms package in the mail today too, but I figure it is more appropriate to make a video blog of myself opening it. I will post that just above! :)

4 comments:

  1. Cheryl! This is all so amazing! I can't wait to see more photos! I laughed so hard when I read about you getting shocked by that fence. Only you. Also, I'm sure you could have picked up a bigger rock, hehe :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sista!! and yeah, i just wanted to love the cow haha. And yeah I could have, but that one looked nice and always stay with your first pick, am I right? haha LOVE YOU MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl:

    Your adventures are incredible and yes, I agree with Michelle that you probably should have picked a way bigger rock (but I do love the heart shape of the one you chose!) Keep on blogging and sending those gorgeous pictures! Love and miss you soooooo much, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rock is a bit small, dontcha think? lol I kid, I kid :). I still can't believe you are there! Your pictures are almost too good to be true. It's so beautiful! Enjoy every second of this journey. Be smart, be safe and have a tremendous amount of fun! Miss you kiddo! Love ya cherrrllll

    ReplyDelete