Thursday, September 5, 2013

Crazy 3 Days So Far.


So I haven't had a chance to sit and blog about my adventures, but here I am safe and sound in my dorm in Salzburg, Austria now, ready to blog about my past 2 crazy days. Alright, on Tuesday, we got up early and took a tour through Munich's historic city center and learned about some of the Bavarian Culture there. We saw one of the most popular beer houses there, Hofbrauhaus, which was where we ate the day before. Then we took a break after the tour and headed to a market in town that is open 6 days a week and I got some fresh cheese, a tomato, and a little pretzel nugget. Their pretzels here are soooooo good. Later on in the day we departed for the BMW museum/plant and Olympic Park. We checked out the Olympic Park first and saw the grounds where the Olympics were held a couple years back, and even saw the pool that Michael Phelps swam in. Sweet deal! We went through about a 2 hour tour of how a BMW is made and it was by far an unreal experience. They are coming out with a new series so security was super tight and following our group most of the time to make sure we didn't take any photographs while in the plant. After the tour, we went into one of the large towers to one of the highest floors and got to see an AMAZING view of parts of Europe. Breathtaking was an understatement. After this tiring day, we headed back to the hostel. Me and some of the people decided to head back down to the bar for a drink and wound up meeting some cool people from California, Georgia, England, all over. Just a great day overall.




Wednesday, September 4th, was yet another day of unforgettable adventures. We woke up early, yet again (my favorite. Haha), had breakfast at the hostel which was what we had been doing every morning, and hopped on the train for a 2 hour ride to Fussen where we were going to hike up to see the Castle Hohenschwangau. Damn was this castle something else. This was a view from the castle, but look it up yourself. (I don't have any photos on my phone but will upload some to facebook soon).

                                

After this long hike, we explored Fussen a little longer just to check out the beautiful town and I had some delicious espresso. When arriving back to the hostel, I was talking with 2 of the girls and one of them had mentioned that the 16 people we have been with were the only ones we would be taking classes with. Now this was something I wasn't aware of and this was also something I specifically didn't want in my study abroad program because I wanted to be integrated in with other Austrians. Well, looks like she was right and now I am forced to do this. Not the best thing I wanted to hear but I am going to make the best of it. Another thing was that we found out our living situations earlier and I wanted to be in a dorm because then I would be able to live with another Austrian. Well, I got the dorm, but I was put in with another girl in the group. Also, another thing I didn't want to hear. Don't get me wrong, these people and my roommate are great people, but I was just looking for some more independence in my study abroad program. 

Besides these 2 obstacles I am going to have to overcome and make the best of (like my mom told me to. Thanks mom!) Thursday, September 5th, we woke up, checked out of the hostel and departed for the Deutsches Museum. Our tour guide was so great and knowledgable! After our tour (yup, another tour, I know right) in the museum was over, depending on the classes we were taking, some were free to go do whatever they pleased and some had to stay and tour the museum for a bit longer. I luckily was free to go! So me and my new roommate headed towards some surf park near one of the gardens! THIS WAS MY FAVORITE! We got to sit and watch the surfers drop in one after another, taking turns catching the man made wakes that were coming down the stream. So sick! I stayed there for about an hour and a half. Then we walked further into the garden and ate lunch at a beer garden! Everything was delicious. Now it was time to head back, get our luggage and hop on our 2 hour train ride to our real destination....Salzburg! Which brings me to now. I am currently sitting in my dorm room I will be living in for the next 3.5 months. We have our own bathroom in the room and a kitchen in the hallway. It is just me and 3 others from the program here so far and other people won't be moving in until Monday so it's quiet. But so far so good. Well tomorrow is orientation so I must get some sleep now! Hope you all enjoyed my LONG update. :)

                              




1 comment:

  1. Cheryl:

    Amazing photos!! Thanks for mentioning me in your blog and honored that you really do SOMETIMES listen to my words of wisdom!!

    As the days go on, you will be meeting so many people from all over - embrace these next couple of months - you are on a journey of a lifetime!! I just wish I was there!!! Love and miss you much, Mom :)

    ReplyDelete